Is royal icing safe to eat? Yes, absolutely! Some people worry about salmonella that is sometimes found in the yolk of the egg, but royal icing made with meringue powder or pasteurized eggs is totally safe for consumption.
Once your royal icing has been piped on, you can set it out to dry. After just 15 to 30 minutes, it will form a thin crust on the surface, but it generally will stay wet underneath for several hours. We recommend to set your cookies out (in a single, flat layer, on parchment-lined baking sheets) overnight to dry.
In terms of allergy advice, please note:
The contents of allergens is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the contents of the information provided on this website. WE STRONGLY ADVISE you read all labelling on food products delivered to you from our website. We are unable to keep up to date with manufacturers changes of ingredients. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the contents of this information are accurate, complete or up to date.