Please note All orders received after 11:30am, will be processed the following weekday.
Free, Standard, and Priority Shopping are delivered by Evri. Choose DPD if you prefer it to Evri.
All orders are Signed & Tracked, please do not ask our couriers to leave in a safe place or with a neighbour. DPD do not Deliver Saturday or Sunday .
Written By Claire Corbett - Last Updated: 07th August 2023
Enjoy making these delicious Choux Pastry Cream Puffs as a delicious treat for afternoon tea or coffee with your friends and family.
Choux pastry, is a delicate pastry dough used in many pastries. It contains only butter, water, flour, and eggs. Instead of a raising agent, it employs high moisture content to create steam during cooking to puff the pastry. Once filled with Flavoured Double Cream and topped with Glacé icing, they are a delicious decadent treat to have.
Check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars!
For the Topping
Preheat oven to 170c / Gas Mark 3/ 325F
Using a pastry brush spread a little water onto the baking tray and then line with parchment paper. You then use the pastry brush to spread a little water onto the paper as the humidity from the water will help your choux buns to inflate and cook without burning.
2. Put the pan onto a medium heat and stir continuously until the butter has melted. Turn the heat down to low and simmer the mixture for 1-2 minutes while stirring continuously.
3. Add the flour to the liquid all at once and with a wooden spoon or spatula stir in the flour until it is a soft dough. Paddle the dough up the sides of the pan as this will cook the flour through for 1-2 minutes and then transfer the dough to a mixing bowl. allow cooling for a few minutes.
4. Turn the mixer onto a low speed and slowly start to add the beaten eggs 1 at a time allowing the dough to mix for 30 seconds before adding the next egg. Once all the eggs have been added turn up the speed slightly on your mixer to ensure all the dough and the eggs have combined to form a smooth piping consistency pastry dough.
6. Transfer the dough to a large piping bag and cut the end of the bag approximately 2cm from the end, you do not want a big opening in the bag as this will allow too much mixture to pipe too quickly.
7. Pipe the choux pastry onto the baking parchment into 2 to 3 cm mounds leaving a good space between each mound.
8. Egg wash the tops of the choux pastry mounds gently and cook in the oven on 170c for 20minutes then turn the oven temp down to 150c for 8-10 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking as this will cause the choux pastry to deflate before they are cooked through.
9. Once the buns are cooked remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Whisk the cream in the mixer adding 2 TBSP Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar to Give a delicious flavour to the cream.
11. Carefully slice each choux bun halfway and then pipe the cream into the choux buns.
12. Mix the Natural Flavoured Icing sugar with enough water to form a smooth but spreadable Glacé Icing and coat the tops of each of the filled Choux Buns.
13. Melt the Chocolate Chips in the microwave on 20-second blasts until they are smooth and runny, be careful not to overheat as the chocolate will burn. Pour the melted chocolate into a small piping bag and cut the tiniest piece off the corner to allow you to pipe thin lines of chocolate over the glacé icing. Chill in the fridge before serving.
Treat yourself, or make a gift of indulgent homemade fudge with this recipe. You could also use this confection in a range...
15% discount on all S&C products!
Double loyalty points!
Free Priority shipping upgrade!
Exclusive members group! Make It Bake It!
Make It, Bake It! is an annual exclusive learning hub part of your S&C Premier Membership, for everyone to enjoy, learn, be inspired, and make new cakey friends. The Hub is for all levels from the newbie, hobby, and professional caker. Come and enjoy the fun, you won’t regret it.