Please note All orders received after 11:30am, will be processed the following weekday.
Free, Standard, and Priority Shopping are delivered by Evri. Choose DPD if you prefer it to Evri.
All orders are Signed & Tracked, please do not ask our couriers to leave in a safe place or with a neighbour. DPD do not Deliver Saturday or Sunday .
Written By Laura Charters - Last Updated: 05th October 2022
Fudgy Chocolate Cake – Spoil yourself with this deliciously moist and Fudgey Chocolate Cake flavoured with our Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Cocoa Powder and Icing Sugar.
A Chocolate cake that has been made with vegetable oil and buttermilk along with a small amount of coffee to elevate it into a fudgy moist texture that is next level deliciousness.
To view our full range of Natural Flavoured Cocoa Powders have a look here.
1. Preheat the oven to 175c Fan, 180C Gas Mark 4. Line two 6-inch or 3/4 x 8 pans with parchment paper and a brush of oil on the sides.
2. Start by weighing out the dry ingredients in a large bowl, add the sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Next up stir together then set aside.
3. Take a mixing bowl and add the eggs and oil and whisk until combined, next add the buttermilk and mix in well.
4. Next add the dry ingredients you set aside and fold them in then add the hot water/coffee, then whisk for a few minutes until smooth. The batter will be thin.
5. Divide the batter between your chosen tins, and use a scale to weigh the tins to get an even amount in each tin.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 mins for the 3/4 layer tins. (They will bake quicker because they are thinner) and 35-40 mins for the 7-inch tin. You will know they are baked when they have risen and a skewer comes out slightly wet but not runny.
7. Once baked place the tins on a wire cooling rack until fully cooled, this will ensure they will come out of the tins easier. Use a pallet knife to lightly score around the side of the tin to help you remove them, and flip over onto the cooling rack. Remove all parchment paper carefully.
8. Make the buttercream by being the butter until creamy, add in the icing sugar and cocoa powder, and beat until fully combined. Lastly, add in the cream and beat on slow so it’s just whipping in. If needed add a little more cream to get smooth.
9. Place the cake on a stand or serving dish to serve, place the first sponge on the stand or dish and cover it with some of the buttercream using a pallet knife to spread to the sides evenly, and repeat with the remaining layers, if doing a two sponge cake put a thicker filling in the centre. Place the remaining buttercream on the top and sides and use a pallet knife to spread evenly.
10. To decorate use any remaining buttercream to pipe swirls on the top and add chocolate in broken pieces or grated on.
The cakes will sink because of all the moisture so don’t worry!
You can freeze this cake once baked, cover each layer with clingfilm tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.
The cake will keep well in the fridge for 5 days.
This Fudgy chocolate cake is intended to be super moist, for a firmer sponge to decorate with fondant reduce the buttermilk to 120ml and the hot water/coffee to 120ml and replace with 180g Sour cream or full-fat yoghurt.
The hot coffee deepens the flavour of the chocolate cake and you will not taste the coffee. If you don’t want to use it, just use hot water; the hot liquid helps break down the cocoa powder.
Also, try this recipe as a traybake for a delicious alternative.
If you like this recipe try Laura’s Fudgy Cupcakes recipe here
Treat yourself, or make a gift of indulgent homemade fudge with this recipe. You could also use this confection in a range...
15% discount on all S&C products!
Double loyalty points!
Free Priority shipping upgrade!
Exclusive members group! Make It Bake It!
Make It, Bake It! is an annual exclusive learning hub part of your S&C Premier Membership, for everyone to enjoy, learn, be inspired, and make new cakey friends. The Hub is for all levels from the newbie, hobby, and professional caker. Come and enjoy the fun, you won’t regret it.