Please note All orders received after 11:30am, will be processed the following weekday.
Free, Standard, and Priority Shopping are delivered by Evri. Choose DPD if you prefer it to Evri.
All orders are Signed & Tracked, please do not ask our couriers to leave in a safe place or with a neighbour. DPD do not Deliver Saturday or Sunday .
Enjoy making this delicious Russian Sandwich Cake for your family and friends to have as Afternoon tea or coffee with your friends.
Russian Sandwich Cake is a delicious vanilla sponge cake filled with Crème Patisserie, with a Glacè Icing top layer and decorated with toasted coconut.
In addition, you can also try making this cake using our amazing range of Natural Flavoured Cocoa Powders! If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
Check more recipes out by clicking here.
1. Pour the milk into a pan and bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
2. With a spatula mix together the Sugar and Crumbs Natural Vanilla Flavoured Icing Sugar, egg yolks and cornflour in a bowl to form a smooth paste.
3. Pour out a little of the hot milk onto the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Whisk in the rest of the hot milk until well combined, then return to the heat.
4. Cook the mixture over a gentle heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture becomes thick, it will just come to the boil.
5 Remove from the heat and pass the mixture through a sieve into a clean bowl. add the butter and stir until melted and thoroughly combined.
6 Leave to cool. cover with clingfilm and then chill for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator before using it.
8. Add the eggs slowly 1 by 1 until combined in the mixture.
9. Now add the flour by using a spoon and having your mixer on the lowest speed, once combined turn up the mixer to high and beat for 20 seconds more only.
10 Divide your cake batter into 3 x 8-inch lined and greased sandwich tins.
11. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
12. Allow the cakes to cool slightly then remove from the tins and cool on a wire rack.
Putting the cake together
13. Place one of the sandwiches on to a cake board or cake plate.
14. Smooth a layer of the Cremé Pâtissière on and then top with another cake sandwich .reapeat this process and top with the final cake sandwich.
15. Make up the glacé icing by adding a small amount of water to the Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured until it is a thick but spreadable consistency.
16. Carefully spread the icing on top of the cake.
17. Sprinkle the toasted desiccated coconut around the edge of the cake approximately 2 to 3 inches wide, this will leave you a circle of glacé icing in the middle. alternatively, you can just sprinkle the toasted desiccated coconut all over the top of the glacè icing.
18. Now enjoy a slice of your delicious Russian Sandwich cake with a cup of your favourite beverage.
Treat yourself, or make a gift of indulgent homemade fudge with this recipe. You could also use this confection in a range...
15% discount on all S&C products!
Double loyalty points!
Free Priority shipping upgrade!
Exclusive members group! Make It Bake It!
Make It, Bake It! is an annual exclusive learning hub part of your S&C Premier Membership, for everyone to enjoy, learn, be inspired, and make new cakey friends. The Hub is for all levels from the newbie, hobby, and professional caker. Come and enjoy the fun, you won’t regret it.