Please note All orders received after 11:30am, will be processed the following weekday.
Free, Standard, and Priority Shopping are delivered by Evri. Choose DPD if you prefer it to Evri.
All orders are Signed & Tracked, please do not ask our couriers to leave in a safe place or with a neighbour. DPD do not Deliver Saturday or Sunday .
This easy Swiss Meringue Buttercream and Genoise Sponge can make hundreds of different cakes with this base.
A génoise, also known as Genoese cake or Genovese cake, is an Italian sponge cake named after the city of Genoa and associated with Italian and French cuisine. Instead of using chemical leavening, the air is suspended in the batter during mixing to provide volume.
In addition, you can also try baking this using our amazing range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars! If you would like to check our full range of Natural Flavoured Icing Sugars and Cocoa Powders click here.
Check more recipes out here.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C Fan, Gas mark 4.
2. Grease and line a shallow 18cm/7in square cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
3. For the genoise sponge, gently melt the butter in a pan then set to one side to cool slightly.
4. Measure the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and whisk at full speed until the mixture is pale, mousse-like and thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk is lifted from the mixture.
5. Sift the flour into a bowl. Then sift again.
6. Carefully fold half the flour into the egg mixture, then gently pour half the cooled butter around the edge of the mixture and fold in. Repeat with the remaining flour and butter.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. NOTE folding the flour in is key to the recipe being successful, you can do it with your hands instead to be more gentle.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes until well risen and the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
9. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
10. Beat pasteurised egg white to foamy and then add Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar of choice. (You can buy liquid pasteurised egg white from any supermarket) We use two chicks.
11. Once beaten in add in small amounts of butter at a time until all incorporated. The butter must be at room temperature.
12. Divide the sponge into two layers to fill it with the Swiss Meringue Buttercream. You can also add Jam.
13. Make squares and decorate with the remaining Swiss Meringue Buttercream, sprinkles, and fresh berries…
Treat yourself, or make a gift of indulgent homemade fudge with this recipe. You could also use this confection in a range...
15% discount on all S&C products!
Double loyalty points!
Free Priority shipping upgrade!
Exclusive members group! Make It Bake It!
Make It, Bake It! is an annual exclusive learning hub part of your S&C Premier Membership, for everyone to enjoy, learn, be inspired, and make new cakey friends. The Hub is for all levels from the newbie, hobby, and professional caker. Come and enjoy the fun, you won’t regret it.